Ahhhh, autumn. Crisp leaves, brisk wind, the smell of… pumpkin spiced everything, even Pumpkin Spiced Pumpkin Seeds (I see you, Trader Joe’s)! We know how to make the most of fall, but now let’s make the most of fall on a budget.
The grand old tradition of watching some leaves change and enjoying the vibrant reds, oranges and browns that come with the change of the season.
For those in the New York area:
- Central Park: that’s free and absolutely gorgeous!
- The High Line: that’s also free and beautiful! And fun!
- Head upstate along the Hudson and enjoy the views. The leaf changing happens north to south, so right now is the perfect time to head north of Manhattan!
- If you’re not in the New York area, here’s a great list of places across the country to see leaves changing.
- If you wait until November, you should see the leaves change around the Washington, D.C./Virginia area.
Pumpkin spiced coffee
No need to go to Starbucks for your PSL fix. Trader Joe’s sells a box of Pumpkin Spice Coffee K-Cups for around $5 and a can of the coffee grounds for around $10! Equally delicious, but way less expensive!
Pumpkin everything else!
Pumpkin Spiced Pumpkin Seeds!
Pumpkin Beer and Cider!
Pumpkin and apple picking
It’s not free, but it’s quite cheap! Just google where they are in your community, or go for a drive and stumble across one — we’re sure you’ll see some beautiful foliage as well.
Give back to the community
- Collect cans for those in need.
- Volunteer at a soup kitchen.
- Start a coat drive in anticipation of the winter.
- Get creative — there are a variety of ways to get involved! Check your newspaper and the internet for more!
Enjoy the season by simply sitting outside!
Preferably by a fire pit with s’mores but really anything will do!